Today we’re making a hearty appetizer that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. Our Baked Southwester Egg Rolls (based on this recipe) are delicious, healthy, vegetarian, and really fun to make!Unfortunately, we could not find egg roll wrappers at our local grocery store so we had to improvise a little bit. We decided to use rice wraps instead – our creation turned out to be pseudo egg rolls (as we expected) but they still tasted fantastic!
Serve these egg rolls with our homemade guacamole – we made ours extra spicy with few extra splashes of Tapatio!
- 2 cups frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 15oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and dried)
- 1 4oz can chopped green chilies (drained)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cayenne red pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 package (21) rice square tortilla wraps (*NOTE: we could not find any egg roll wrappers at Ralph’s)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers and egg.
3. Coat a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
4. Cut the wraps in half.
5. Spoon a heaping amount of the mixture near the long side of the wrapper.
6. Fold shorter sides towards the middle and carefully roll the wrapper lengthwise. (These rice wraps are fragile, so it gets tricky!)
7. Place the uncooked ‘egg rolls’ on the cookie sheet.
8. Repeat until the entire mixture is used up or you run out of wraps – whichever comes first!
9. Brush the egg alongside the top of the egg roll and near the openings of the wrap.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
11. Serve with our guacamole!
Did you find egg roll wrappers? Tell us where!